your nclex® success is our goal
in our practical nursing program, you'll be equipped with the knowledge, skills and confidence to sit for the nclex-pn® exam. what is the nclex exam? it's the licensure exam to become an lpn. start preparing for the nclex-pn® exam from day one in our practical nursing program. encounter various work environments and hands-on experience even before earning your nursing diploma and seeking licensure.
get started sooner
you only need to apply once and you’re in the program. four calendar starts a year, no prerequisites and no wait list at many campuses for qualified candidates means whenever you’re ready to start your education, a new class of students is getting ready to begin the adventure with you.
along with program-specific skills, students in all programs and at all credential levels learn six employer-valued transferable skills, or soft skills, to feel confident and comfortable within any environment: critical thinking, digital fluency, information literacy, communication, diversity and teamwork, and ethics and professional responsibility. learn to communicate with a variety of patients and provide compassionate patient care. develop critical decision-making skills in order to swiftly and calmly contribute to diagnoses and what’s best for your patients’ health. build confidence to work as a cohesive nursing team. stay up to date on the latest healthcare technology. transferable skills are not only valuable to your career, but are also vital to your patients.
regional and programmatic accreditation
rasmussen college is accredited by the higher learning commission (hlcommission.org), a regional accreditation agency recognized by the u.s. department of education. visit our accreditation page to see accredited programs within our nursing school. learn more about programmatic accreditation and the accreditation commission for education in nursing (acen).
rasmussen college is proud to be the #1 educator of practical nursing grads in florida and minnesota.4 experienced faculty and on-campus nursing simulation laboratory and clinical settings, along with clinical experience, in the practical nursing program help develop skills and prepare you to care for diverse healthcare needs. there's no wait list at most campuses and you only need to apply once and you’re in the program, on your way to earning your diploma in practical nursing through a mix of online and on-campus classes. at our tampa campus, you can even choose between weekday, evening or weekend course options. in as few as 12 months, you’ll be prepared to sit for the nclex-pn® exam and start your career as a licensed practical nurse (lpn).1
you’ll also take advantage of the projected strong job growth for licensed practical nurses (lpn)—12.3% job growth in minnesota and 19.1% job growth in florida.6 take the first step toward a rewarding career in nursing—where you go after is up to you, but while you’re here, you’ll receive extensive support from those dedicated to your success: expert faculty members, academic advisors, tutors, financial aid and 24/7 tech support.
practical nursing credentials offered
finish in as few as
- on-campus and online classes
- field experience
- flex choice® (optional)
students wanting to take the first step into becoming a nurse and interested in lpn programs with small class sizes in a supportive environment.
prepares you for
- home healthcare services
- long-term care facilities
- assisted living centers
- outpatient/ambulatory care centers
- rehabilitation centers
learn more about our nursing program at a nursing information session
how to become an lpn: 5 steps to earning your scrubs
you’ve always known that you like to care for people and becoming an lpn is one way you can utilize your natural abilities. let's take a look at how to become an lpn, including lpn programs that prepare you for licensure like a practical nursing diploma, exams and seeking the right nursing career for you.
your nursing career path
our program is designed to give you the nursing education, skills, knowledge and attitude to confidently sit for the nclex-pn exam, which is essential to becoming an lpn. if you choose to advance your training after becoming an lpn, we’ve made it easy by offering classes and credentials that let you continue working as you further your education. our career path diagram below shows you how our curriculum is designed to let you smoothly transfer from one credential to the next, until you've reached your goal. according to the bureau of labor statistics (bls), earning a degree, regardless of the field of study, can improve income potential.2 here are just a few of the examples of where a nursing degree can take you.
licensed practical and licensed vocational nurses (lpn)
registered nurses (rn)
nursing school is a huge commitment; you can’t just do things part-way. you have to be prepared to give it everything.
practical nursing graduate
accreditation and licensing information
accreditation commission for education in nursing (acen)
the practical nursing program at rasmussen college at the:
- brooklyn park/maple grove campus, located in brooklyn park, minnesota, is accredited by the acen. the most recent accreditation decision made by the acen board of commissioners for this practical nursing program is initial accreditation.
- eagan campus, located in eagan, minnesota, is accredited by the acen. the most recent accreditation decision made by the acen board of commissioners for this practical nursing program is initial accreditation.
- land o’lakes/east pasco campus, located in land o’lakes, florida, is accredited by the acen. the most recent accreditation decision made by the acen board of commissioners for this practical nursing program is initial accreditation.
- mankato campus, located in mankato, minnesota, is accredited by the acen. the most recent accreditation decision made by the acen board of commissioners for this practical nursing program is initial accreditation.
- moorhead campus, located in moorhead, minnesota, is accredited by the acen. the most recent accreditation decision made by the acen board of commissioners for this practical nursing program is initial accreditation.
- st. cloud campus, located in st. cloud, minnesota, is accredited by the acen. the most recent accreditation decision made by the acen board of commissioners for this practical nursing program is initial accreditation.
accreditation commission for education in nursing (acen)
3343 peachtree road ne, suite 850
atlanta, ga 30326
the most recent accreditation decision made by the acen board of commissioners for these practical nursing programs is initial accreditation.
view the public information disclosed by the acen regarding this program at //www.acenursing.us/accreditedprograms/programsearch.htm
frequently asked questions
the nursing field
what does an lpn do?
a licensed practical nurse (lpn) provides basic nursing care, working under the direction of registered nurses and doctors. this can include monitoring patients’ health, administering basic patient care, discussing and reporting on patients’ concerns and keeping records on patients’ health.
are lpns in high demand?
the bureau of labor statistics projects strong job growth for lpns from 2019 to 2028; with 12.3% in minnesota, 19.1% in florida and a national projected job growth at 11%, which is much faster than average and translates to an estimated 78,100 new jobs. lpn programs in florida and lpn programs in mn like our practical nursing diploma can help you pursue this growing field.
what is the nclex-pn exam?
the national council licensure examination (nclex) is a nationwide examination for the licensing of nurses and the nclex-pn is the exam that must be passed in order to start working as an lpn. it is not as daunting as it sounds; your program has exam preparation built into the coursework and you have a suite of support services helping you along the way.
what kinds of nursing jobs can i get and where could i work as a practical nurse?
with a practical nursing diploma, the expected job outcome is to work as an lpn—which can mean providing in-home healthcare services or working at long-term care facilities, clinics, assisted living centers, outpatient/ambulatory care centers and rehabilitation centers.
our nursing program
how long does it take to earn a practical nursing diploma?
the diploma can be completed in as few as 12 months through our combination of on-campus and online courses that help you manage your time and busy schedule.
how long does it take to become an lpn?
after you earn your diploma, you’ll need to sit for the nclex-pn national certification exam. on top of the time spent in the program (as few as 12 months), the time it takes to become an lpn depends on when, and in how many attempts, the nclex-pn exam is passed.
what are the requirements to become an lpn?
completing a state-approved educational program (earning your diploma at rasmussen college) and passing the nclex-pn exam.
what kind of support will i receive while enrolled in this program?
you’ll benefit from robust student support services, which include academic advising, tutoring, financial aid and 24/7 technical support—who are all dedicated and ready to assist with your success.
is this an online practical nursing diploma program?
though we do not have a fully online practical nursing diploma program, there is online coursework and self-directed assessments. the program is largely hands-on and campus-based—where you’ll get career-focused nursing training through onsite clinicals. depending on your campus, you may be able to choose between weekday, evening or weekend course options.
what does nursing accreditation mean?
having accreditation means the college has met established quality standards as set by the accreditation body. achieving accreditation tells the public that an entity meets industry expectations for quality, and students can have confidence that quality control checks have been carried out by a third party.
does this program align with my goals to become a nurse?
the practical nursing diploma program is a great way to get into a nursing role, with plenty of paths to take and advance in the field. after earning your diploma and becoming an lpn, you can advance your education to prepare for a role as an rn.
what are the prerequisites for the program?
unlike many other nursing schools, there are no prerequisites and there are no wait lists at many campuses. you only need to apply once and you can begin your lpn classes on one of four calendar starts a year.
- completion time is dependent on transfer credits accepted and the number of courses completed each term.
- does not apply in the state of illinois.
- bureau of labor statistics, u.s. department of labor, occupational employment statistics, [salary data accessed may 21, 2020] //www.bls.gov/oes/. bureau of labor statistics, u.s. department of labor, occupational outlook handbook, [career information accessed may 21, 2020] www.bls.gov/ooh/. bls salary data represents national, averaged earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. this data does not represent starting salaries. employment conditions in your area may vary.
- according to 2016, 2017 and 2018 licensed practical/vocational nurse training conferrals as reported in ipeds.
- 18% of successful nclex-pn attempts in mn in 2019 were rasmussen college graduates.
- labor market employment outlook statistics reported through careeronestop, [employment information accessed august 10, 2020] florida: //www.careeronestop.org/Toolkit/StateAndLocal/ProjectedEmployment.aspx?soccode=%20292061&location=fl. minnesota: //www.careeronestop.org/Toolkit/StateAndLocal/ProjectedEmployment.aspx?soccode=%20292061&location=mn. projected annual job openings for the occupation listed refers to the average annual job openings due to growth and net replacement.
- u.s. bureau of labor statistics, current population study. unemployment rates and earnings by educational attainment, 2019. accessed by 7/15/2020. data is for persons age 25 and older full-time wage and salary earners. //www.bls.gov/emp/chart-unemployment-earnings-education.htm